Massage is a soothing expression of love and care. It is a delightful way to connect with your baby’s senses and helps in his/her growth and development from the very beginning.
Baby massage is a process of rhythmic stroking of your baby’s body with the power of touches. Massaging produces a calming effect that can trigger the production of oxytocin i.e. the feel good hormones in your baby, resulting in a deeper parent-child bond. Usually, it is done with baby massage oils so that your hands can glide smoothly over your baby’s body.
Different Types of Massage Oils
Choosing the right massage oil for your baby is the first step towards a nurturing and fulfilling massage. According to experts, it is extremely important to use plant-based oils which are free from toxic contaminants while massaging your baby. Oils of coconut, mustard, sesame, and olive are considered good for baby massages. Furthermore, herbal oils are the best choice for the baby’s delicate skin.
Being one of the best vegan brands in India, Omved’s baby massage oil is an Ayurvedic powerhouse for your baby. It is an amalgamation of extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil and herbs of Ashwagandha, Manjishtha, and Ushira. It has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties that are extremely beneficial for massaging your baby in all seasons.
How to massage your Newborn Baby?
You can massage your newborn after around 4 weeks of birth. However, check your baby’s mood before doing anything. Your baby should be alert, content and calm. Besides, it is important to keep in mind that initially, your baby may feel uncomfortable with the massaging experience. But as your baby gets used to it, he/she will start enjoying it thoroughly. You can massage your baby in the following ways:
- Choose a warm and quiet spot for massaging your baby. Place your baby with his/her back on the towel to establish eye contact.
- Warm the natural massage oil and rub it on your baby’ skin, starting with his/her legs.
- Gently move upwards and squeeze your baby’s calves and thighs.
- In order to massage your baby’s tummy and chest, place both hands at the center of his/her body. Spread your hands and massage outwards to the sides. Now, place your hands below the chest, use your fingertips and massage in a clockwise motion.
- Turn your baby on his/her tummy and massage with circular strokes while moving towards the buttocks.
- Keep going and massage the remaining body parts such as the head, face, etc. as long as your infant seems to be loving it.
You can massage your newborn baby at any time of the day, but don’t massage him/her after the feeding session.
Benefits of Baby Massage
These moments of touch provide umpteen benefits to your baby, including:
- Provide relief from gas, cramps, colic, and constipation
- Strengthen muscles and bones
- Improve skin texture
- Promote sound sleep
- Enhance body awareness
- Help relieve nasal congestion
Communicate your love to your baby through the magic of touches. Your touch can help your baby grow from inside out. So gently massage your baby and transform these moments into rituals to provide a wholesome experience to your baby.