Aromatherapy is a science that uses the essence of specific herbs and flowers essence to improve a person’s health and moods. The essences are known as essential oils and they can be used to treat several conditions ranging from reducing stress, aiding in digestion, calming the senses and reducing pain to just promoting emotional well-being.
Aromatherapy over the few years has been defined as a traditional treatment using the essential oils. The aromatic essential oils and other aromatic plant compounds work with an aim to improve the health and moods of a person.
The traditional treatment through aromatherapy may include massage oils or diffuser oils. The treatment includes either massages or topical application using essential oils.
The story of Aromatherapy
Aromas from essential oils are known to stimulate the part of the brain that affects our emotions. The aroma affects the limbic system where our memories are stored and emotions are perceived. The limbic system, when stimulated releases chemicals that affect our central nervous system. Essential oils have healing and therapeutic effects on the mind, body and soul.
Application of aromatherapy
Aromatherapy can be used in three ways:
Diffuse the fragrance: Add 2-3 drops of essential oil to water in the diffuser. Light a candle and let the heat from the candle make the oils evaporate causing it to spread a fragrance in the air.
Inhale it directly: The essential oils that are used in inhalation are typically to cure respiratory disorders or decongestion.
Apply it topically: When applied topically Essential oils are used in the form of massage oils, bath oils or therapeutic skin care.
Uses and benefits of aromatherapy
Aromatherapy comes armed with loads of benefits, and we’ve listed some for you:
- Most of the essential oils used in aromatherapy are known to possess anti-bacterial properties that help in healing skin disorders faster.
- Aromatherapy helps enhance the blood circulation, thus stimulating the lymph drainage. This process aids in detoxifying the body
- Most essential oils come with specific properties to help a person relax, de-stress and rejuvenate
- Indulging in regular massages will help you get rid of the toxins in your body.
- Breathing in the fragrances of essential oils will help you unwind, relax and feel good.
- Burning incense sticks of mild and natural fragrance creates a calming atmosphere and balances the moods.
- Bathing in the water mixed with essentials oils can help alleviate stress related symptoms.
- Essential oils are known to enhance mood and promote a feeling of well-being. It helps reduce pains and aches and certain fragrances also helps in reducing insomnia.
Aromatherapy is known to have positive effects by not only soothing and calming the mind, but also promoting an overall state of well-being. It helps you to restore balance to your body, mind and spirit. Have you inhaled your breath of bliss today?
This article is copyright ©2013 by Omved Lifestyle Pvt.Ltd. This article may be reprinted provided that all credit information remains intact. If you wish to use this article, you must include the reprint credits that are shown on the top and the bottom of the article. If you wish to modify any aspect of the reprint credit or article, or use any other content from our blog, you must first contact us at email@example.com to request written permission.