Summer is an enjoyable time of the year, not the least due to the vacation! There are books to be read, mangoes to be enjoyed and crisp cotton kurtas to be worn. Pleasant as these may sound, summer does not come without challenges. The biggest problems in summer are obviously the intense heat of the sun along with the humidity. All this takes a toll on our body and health, particularly on our poor tresses! So what is the ideal summer hair care routine to ensure your locks stay as healthy as ever?
With all the sweating we endure on hot, muggy days, it can be unthinkable of coating our scalp and hair with a layer of oil, but surprisingly, this may actually be the best thing you can do for your hair in summer!
Should you actually oil your hair in summer?
When we talk about oiling your hair, it actually refers to massaging your scalp and applying oil along the length of your hair. Both of these actions have their own benefits – scalp massage strengthens the roots and stimulates growth while oiling the hair shaft offers protection. Here is a more detailed look at the benefits of including oil in your summer hair care routine.
- Coating your hair with a layer of oil keeps it nourished and moisturized, preventing the dreaded summer dryness
- As you massage your scalp, you stimulate the hair follicles and encourage further growth
- Oiling helps to prevent breakage – the massage strengthens the roots while oiling the hair shafts keeps them from becoming brittle
- All that sweating can cause that annoying itching we all know so well, but regular oil massages can prevent this by softening the scalp and preventing dryness
- For most of us with curly or wavy hair, frizz is our number one enemy during summers. Oiling the hair helps us control this to a great extent
- If you swim in a pool laden with chlorine or sea water, the oil on your hair gives you an extra layer of protection, especially if you have treated or colored hair
Of course, there is another benefit – oil massages are incredibly relaxing too! You may find chemical products that offer the benefits listed above, but let’s face it – no cocktail of chemicals cooked up in a lab can match the penetration of pure, natural oils. However, you need to ensure that you’re using the right kind of oil – one that’s suited to your hair and the weather. And well, it promotes healthy hair.
Summer Hair Care Tips
When you consider oils for summer hair care, you absolutely cannot do without the king of oils – coconut oil! With its huge range of health benefits, this is the first choice for most people trying to infuse new life into their tired tresses. Coconut oil has sun protection benefits and has excellent penetration. Nearly every recipe of Ayurvedic oil for hair growth includes coconut oil among its ingredients. Have you seen our collection of hair oils that are suitable for almost all hair types?
Avocado oil is another oil with SPF, and its light and smooth nature makes it perfect for hot weather. Just as avocadoes are great for your health, the nutritionally dense avocado oil also provides deep conditioning nourishment for your hair.
If the thought of heavy, greasy locks is weighing you down, then Jojoba oil is what you need. This oil is easily absorbed into the scalp and hair, freeing you from any greasiness or stickiness. And it’s not just that; jojoba oil is also packed with Vitamin E, antioxidants and healthy fatty acids.
Almond oil is probably the best hair oil for men, considering it’s the best in the battle against baldness! Almond oil is rich in Vitamin E and has been shown to promote hair growth. It also acts as a cleanser, cleaning the hair of dirt and dust.
Olive oil is another common oil that is not just great on your salad, but on your hair as well! Being a light oil, this is perfect for muggy weather. It goes deep into the hair shaft and as a result, you get some high quality conditioning and nourishment!
This is a Moroccan oil that has recently become real popular with everyone. This is your ideal frizz fighter for humid summer days, when everything else fails. It is so light you can use it like a leave-in serum and its high Vitamin E content offers extra nutrition for your hair.
Besides these, essential oils like rosemary and lavender can also increase hair growth and nourish the scalp. Just mix in a few drops into your regular oil for sweet summer hair care.
The best summer hair treatment is a weekly deep conditioning routine. You can try any of these – coconut oil with castor oil, coconut oil with honey, olive oil and fresh aloe vera paste with any oil. Slightly warm oils spread more easily. Just apply, cover with a shower cap or hot towel for 30 minutes and wash off!
Use hair masks
If you have more time experiment with the Omved hair mask that provides the nourishment to the tresses as well. Apply the hair mask and let it stay for a while to let your hair soak in all the nutrients from the mask. Wash off the mask with plain water and follow up with a shampoo and conditioner to lock in the moisture.
More hair care tips for summer
Looking for more? With the do’s there comes don’t as well. So here is our list of do’s and don’ts for your tresses this summer.
- Avoid using a hair dryer or any styling tools that generate heat. It’s the best to let your hair dry naturally in the summers.
- Wear a scarf or hat when outdoors. It will protect your hair from sun damage.
- Don’t wash your hair too often, unless really dirty. And use lukewarm water to wash your hair.
- Always use a conditioner; a chemical free option works the best!
- Avoid tying hair into tight pony tails; opt for braids or loose buns.
- Use a clarifying shampoo to clean up residue from the scalp. Again, a chemical free option works wonders!
Check out our complete hair care range in the store. We have all that YOU need to restore, rejuvenate and hydrate your tresses. See, summer hair care needn’t be a complicated process; choose the right oil for your needs, apply and enjoy your mangoes, lassi and ice cream!