Dandruff, also known as seborrheic dermatitis is a common scalp disorder. There are various reasons for its occurence – dry skin, oily skin or the growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp. It causes excessive itchiness and can cause flakes on the scalp. You need to follow a healthy hair regime to control the dandruff. These tried and tested home remedies are your best bet to keep the flakes at bay.
Please keep in mind that simple natural home remedies take time to show results but they can effectively treat the problem completely.
1. Neem – Neem is known to possess antifungal and antibacterial properties that help to control the intensity of dandruff. All you need to do is boil a handful of neem leaves in 5 cups of water for 15 minutes. Let the solution cool and strain it and store in a glass bottle. Use this as a rinse post your shampoo and conditioning. Leave it on your hair for about 2 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
2. Coconut Oil – If you love a massage, you will love this option. Coconut oil helps has antifungal properties and it also helps to moisturize the dry scalp and reduce the itching. Add the juice of half a lemon to approximately 3 tbsp of warm coconut oil. B;end it well and apply on the scalp. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes and wash off with a shampoo and follow up with a conditioner. This remedy can be used at least thrice a week.
3. Olive Oil – This works the same way as the coconut oil, Olive oil helps to reduce the scalp dryness by acting as an effective moisturizer. Warm some olive oil and massage onto your scalp.Wrap your hair in a warm towel for 15 minutes. Leave it on overnight and wash your hair with a shampoo and follow up with a conditioner the next morning.
4. Tea tree essential oil – Tea tree oil has strong antifungal properties and it is one of the most excellent remedies to treat dandruff. All you need to do is add one drop of tea tree oil to your shampoo and lather it onto your hair. You can also add tea tree oil to the regular oils and massage the scalp. Use this option at least three times a week.
5. Lemon juice – The juice of a lemon contains acids that fight the fungi that causes dandruff and it also provides relief from the itching of the scalp.
All that you need to do mix the juice of half a lemon into 3 tablespoons of yogurt and apply it on the scalp. You can apply the excess mask onto the air as well. Leave it on for about 30 minutes and wash off with warm water and follow up with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
6. Fenugreek Seeds – Fenugreek is known for its antifungal and soothing properties that can help control dandruff to a great extent. Soak 3-4 tbsp of fenugreen in water overnight and grind it ito a fine paste the next morning. Add a teaspoon of yogurt to the paste and mix well. Apply the paste all over your scalp and leave it in for at least one hour for effective results. Wash off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
Keep in mind that home made remedies are effective but they take time to show the desired results. All you need is a little bit of patience to let the remedy you choose to work for you.
Do you have a remedy that works for you? Let us know and we will feature it in our social media!
This article is copyright ©2013 by Omved Lifestyle Pvt.Ltd. This article may be reprinted provided that all credit information remains intact. If you wish to use this article, you must include the reprint credits that are shown on the top and the bottom of the article. If you wish to modify any aspect of the reprint credit or article, or use any other content from our blog, you must first contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request written permission.